September 22 is Falls Prevention Awareness Day.
As a family caregiver, this is the ideal opportunity for you to learn more about falls and how they might impact your senior parent. This can allow you to make meaningful modifications to your care efforts, as well as your parent’s home and daily routine, to help them to avoid falls and the potentially devastating consequences of such falls.
Some things that you should know about falls in the elderly include:
• The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that approximately one out of every four seniors over the age of 64 in the United States suffers a fall each year
• This number accounts for 25 percent of the total elderly population
• Falls are the leading cause of both fatal and non-fatal injuries among senior adults throughout the United States
• Every 19 seconds a senior dies from injuries related to a fall
• More than 2.8 million elderly adults seek emergency medical attention in the emergency department due to falls each year
• Over 800,000 senior adults end up hospitalized due to falls
• More than 27,000 older adults die from falls each year
• The fear of falling can be just as detrimental to a senior’s quality of life as an actual fall, leading to reduced activity and diminished social engagement
• Approximately 25 percent of older adults who suffer a hip fracture will die within six months of that injury
• More than 50 percent of falls that result in death occur among older adults over the age of 74
• 10 percent of falls that occur in seniors over the age of 84, results in hip fractures
How can an elderly home care service provider help?
If you have been looking for a way to enhance your aging parent’s quality of life and ensure that they are getting the support, care, and assistance that they need as they age in place, starting elder care for them might be the ideal option. An elderly home care services provider can be with your parent on a fully customized schedule to ensure that they have full access to what they need to remain healthy, happy, comfortable, and engaged throughout their later years.
When it comes to keeping them safe, the highly personalized services of an elderly home care services provider can be invaluable. From helping them to recognize and rectify challenges and obstacles in their home, to handling housekeeping tasks that might be challenging and difficult, to providing physical support and assistance, this care provider can help your parent stay active while also avoiding potential accidents and injuries.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering home care services in Hillsboro, OR, please contact the caring staff at Integrity In-Home Care.
Call today (503) 660-3755